February 23, 2009

Why Every OFW Needs to Know How to Chat

If you're here in the Philippines you will get to know a lot of families who had a parent or both parents working as an OFW.

With that you will also get to expose yourself that an incomplete family setup is just ordinary. Seeing your parents every two, three or five years is just the usual setup for families who depend on the earnings of their OFW parents for a living.

But with some families who have older folks, it is usually their eldest son or daughter who shoulders the responsibility of working outside of the country to provide for their needs.

I know better because I've been a chefs daughter for over 28 years. Before, I usually see my mom writing endless letters to my dad and waiting for days, even weeks for his reply. In the course of my parents exchanging letters, I was able to save some stamps which made me possible to have my mini stamp collection.

With all the online messaging services going on, I now see how my parents are very excited to see each other on yahoo messenger everyday.

But before that happens, my mom tried her best to learn the basics of using the computer. I usually write the step by step instructions in Tagalog so she can best understand what to do. Now, my mom can log on to the computer, use the Yahoo Messenger service for the video and Skype to talk to my dad.

I really saw how they were able to sustain their relationship because of the chat and endless calls online. So if you are a part of an OFW family or you're the one who is working away from your family, I would advise you to start learning how to chat and use these other helpful online messaging service to keep you connected. This will also avoid the 'homesick' feeling that OFWs feel out of missing their families back home.

1 comments:

Melrose Fulgencio Website said...

"for ofws abroad! this are the must buys in Philippine
provinces! check this out--www.takeithome.ph"